Sunday, February 18, 2018

c++ cli - Correct use of IDisposable pattern when using Managed C++ wrapper in C#



My C# class creates and uses Managed C++ object that wraps (allocates and uses) unmanaged C++ objects and resources. The Managed C++ class correctly implements IDisposable with Destructor and Finalizer. Therefore, it appears that my C# class should also implement IDisposable. I want to follow correct IDisposable pattern in C# as well.



The following is unclear to me:




  • Within Dispose method of my C# class, should I treat my Managed C++ objects as managed or unmanaged (since they rely on unmanaged resources internally)?



Answer



Yes, your C# class should implement IDisposable as well. Its Dispose() method should simply dispose the C++/CLI objects. No need for a finalizer, you already implemented one in your wrappers. Your wrappers are no different from many other .NET classes that wrap an operating system resource.



For example:



class Test : IDisposable {
private CppWrapper obj;
//...
public void Dispose() {

if (obj != null) {
obj.Dispose();
obj = null;
}
}
}

No comments:

Post a Comment

plot explanation - Why did Peaches' mom hang on the tree? - Movies & TV

In the middle of the movie Ice Age: Continental Drift Peaches' mom asked Peaches to go to sleep. Then, she hung on the tree. This parti...