Friday, March 1, 2019

kernel - In FreeBSD, how can I disable hardware prefetching?

I just finished reading
How to Choose between Hardware and Software Prefetch on 32-Bit Intel® Architecture
and made the decision that I need to disable hardware prefetching for my use case.



In particular the following applies exactly to me:




Generally, prefer software-controlled prefetch in situations where all the following are true: irregular access patterns are present, short arrays must be prefetched, and making changes to existing application code is acceptable.





I found a number of answers that reference Linux specifically (see this SO answer). However, for performance reasons I am using FreeBSD.



Even if this ends up being a bad idea, I want to benchmark by application without h/w prefetching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

plot explanation - Why did Peaches' mom hang on the tree? - Movies & TV

In the middle of the movie Ice Age: Continental Drift Peaches' mom asked Peaches to go to sleep. Then, she hung on the tree. This parti...