Friday, March 29, 2019

xampp - Undefined Index for $_POST (noob question!)











I am just learning PHP and I keep getting an Undefined Index error. The book I'm learning from has an HTML form and a PHP page that processes the form, using the following format:






// The PHP starts with one line like this for each of the form fields in the HTML
$how_long = $_POST ['howlong'];

// And there is one line for each one like this to output the form data:

echo ' and were gone for ' . $how_long . '
';


The example I'm working with has about 12 form fields.



What's odd is that not all of the variables throw this error, but I can't see a pattern to it.



I've checked that all HTML fieldnames match up with the PHP $_POST variable name I entered, and I've made certain that when I fill out the form and submit it that all fields are filled in with something. Interestingly, the completed code that can be downloaded for the book also throws this error.



I realize this code may not reflect best practices, it's from the first chapter of the book and obviously I am a noob :)




In case it makes a difference, I am using PHP 5.3.5 on XAMPP 1.7.4 with Windows 7 Home Premium.


Answer



Remember to set the method to POST on the form tag...



heres the code i used to try yours, and it worked to me:



in a file named test.php:














and in testProc.php:




if (isset($_POST)) {
if (isset($_POST["howlong"])){
$howlong = $_POST['howlong'];
echo ' and were gone for ' . $howlong . '
';
}
}
?>



Just as an advise, to make display manipulation with stylesheets i recommend to put forms within a table, like this:




























Hope you can use this...


No comments:

Post a Comment

plot explanation - Why did Peaches' mom hang on the tree? - Movies & TV

In the middle of the movie Ice Age: Continental Drift Peaches' mom asked Peaches to go to sleep. Then, she hung on the tree. This parti...