Saturday, December 1, 2018

How do I escape a single quote in SQL Server?



I'm trying to insert some text data into a table in SQL Server 9.



The text includes a single quote(').



How do I escape that?




I tried using two single quotes, but it threw me some errors.



eg. insert into my_table values('hi, my name''s tim.');


Answer



Single quotes are escaped by doubling them up, just as you've shown us in your example. The following SQL illustrates this functionality. I tested it on SQL Server 2008:



DECLARE @my_table TABLE (
[value] VARCHAR(200)
)


INSERT INTO @my_table VALUES ('hi, my name''s tim.')

SELECT * FROM @my_table


Results



value
==================

hi, my name's tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

plot explanation - Why did Peaches' mom hang on the tree? - Movies & TV

In the middle of the movie Ice Age: Continental Drift Peaches' mom asked Peaches to go to sleep. Then, she hung on the tree. This parti...