Saturday, May 25, 2019

does jquery have an equivalent of dojo.hitch()?



Forgive my ignorance as I am not as familiar with jquery. Is there an equivalent to dojo.hitch()? It returns a function that is guaranteed to be executed in the given scope.



-- edit --
As requested, here is an example. I use hitch very frequently to ensure callbacks are executed within the right object. For example, let's say I have a utility method called doSomethingAsync and I pass it a callback function. With hitch, I can make sure the function is executed within a particular scope even if the utility method performs ajax calls and so forth:





expectedScopeObj = {
flag: true,
callback: function(){console.debug(this.flag);},
main: function() {
// without hitch the callback function would not find flag
core.util.doSomethingAsync(dojo.hitch(this, this.callback));
}
}



Without hitch, the callback function could possibly be executed in a different scope and an error would be thrown with this.flag being undefined. However, with hitch it is guaranteed to be executed within execptedScopeObj.


Answer



I know this has been answered, but not correctly. jQuery.proxy is what you are looking for I believe.



UPDATE



Many, many years later after lots of JavaScript work, and after stripping out my usage of jQuery since browser compatibility has become less of an issue, I would recommend using Function.prototype.bind over jQuery.proxy, as @bobince suggested. While this is still the correct answer to the original question, I feel obligated to direct people to a vanilla solution rather than relying on jQuery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

plot explanation - Why did Peaches' mom hang on the tree? - Movies & TV

In the middle of the movie Ice Age: Continental Drift Peaches' mom asked Peaches to go to sleep. Then, she hung on the tree. This parti...