Thursday, August 16, 2018

javascript - Using jQuery object understanding





I had to jump into jQuery development without getting too much time into learning all the associated basics, so there is one thing that throws me off quite a bit.



I see two different ways our developers access jQuery objects:



Case 1:




var container =  $("#containerId");

// Then use it as:
container.hide();


Case 2:



var container =  $("#containerId");


// Then use it as:
$(container).hide();


From my thin up to date knowledge, by wrapping a container as in var obj = $(container), we get a jQuery object obj that we can further work with.



But then why do I see intermittently developers wrapping it again when using as in $(obj).doSomething()?



Edit: the question suggested as duplicate is asking about best practices and although similar, my question is purely on understanding of jQuery object wrapping.



Answer



Second wrapping does nothing as I remember. So if there can be a selector a dom element or a jQuery object you can just wrap it and do not care about what it was.



But if you know it is a jquery object, you shouldn't use wrapping.


No comments:

Post a Comment

plot explanation - Why did Peaches' mom hang on the tree? - Movies & TV

In the middle of the movie Ice Age: Continental Drift Peaches' mom asked Peaches to go to sleep. Then, she hung on the tree. This parti...