Monday, August 20, 2018

Can someone explain to me what the reasoning behind passing by "value" and not by "reference" in Java is?



I'm fairly new to Java (been writing other stuff for many years) and unless I'm missing something (and I'm happy to be wrong here) the following is a fatal flaw...



String foo = new String();
thisDoesntWork(foo);
System.out.println(foo);//this prints nothing


public static void thisDoesntWork(String foo){
foo = "howdy";
}


Now, I'm well aware of the (fairly poorly worded) concept that in java everything is passed by "value" and not "reference", but String is an object and has all sorts of bells and whistles, so, one would expect that unlike an int a user would be able to operate on the thing that's passed into the method (and not be stuck with the value set by the overloaded =).



Can someone explain to me what the reasoning behind this design choice was? As I said, I'm not looking to be right here, and perhaps I'm missing something obvious?


Answer




This rant explains it better than I could ever even try to:




In Java, primitives are passed by value. However, Objects are not
passed by reference. A correct statement would be Object references
are passed by value.



No comments:

Post a Comment

plot explanation - Why did Peaches' mom hang on the tree? - Movies & TV

In the middle of the movie Ice Age: Continental Drift Peaches' mom asked Peaches to go to sleep. Then, she hung on the tree. This parti...