Tuesday, May 8, 2018

html - not receiving emails from php mail() function

I have recently been learning HTML, js, CSS, and PHP through creating web pages and posting them on my apache2 server hosted on my raspberry pi with a no-ip.com address. My first real project for learning PHP has been creating a simple form to then send an email to me, but I keep running into the issue of the mail() function executing without any errors, but not actually sending emails.



Here is the form:




Name:

Email:

Message:

Subject:
Hello!

Whats Up!




Here is the PHP file reference in the form's 'action' attribute:



if($_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] == "POST") {
$to = "myExampleEmail@gmail.com";

$name = $_POST["name"];
$email = $_POST["email"];
$message = $_POST["message"];
$subject = $_POST["subject"];

echo $name;
echo $email;
echo $message;
echo $subject;


$headers = array("From: " . $email,
"Reply-To: " . $to,
"X-Mailer: PHP/" . PHP_VERSION);

mail($to, $subject, $message, $header);

} else {
echo $_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"];
}
?>



I understand that this question has been asked before, and I have tried most of the methods set out by other answers, but I still can't seem to get the PHP mail() function to work. The best information I have is that I have to do some kind of install or formatting on the server itself to allow for emails to be sent, but I have yet to find it well documented and/or explained. (i.e phpMailer? - but still... how?)



EDIT:



I checked the return value of the mail function . . .



  if(mail("myExampleEmail@gmail.com", "subject", "message", $headers)) {
echo "TRUE";

}else {
echo "FALSE";
}


. . . and it turns out to be returning false. I assume that means it is an error in my code, then?



EDIT:



Apparently I wasn't clear when I said I did research before posting this question. I tried everything that was given as an answer to the question that mine was a closed as a "duplicate" of, hence me asking, the question anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

plot explanation - Why did Peaches' mom hang on the tree? - Movies & TV

In the middle of the movie Ice Age: Continental Drift Peaches' mom asked Peaches to go to sleep. Then, she hung on the tree. This parti...